Internship at Two Sigma Data Clinic - Data Science For Good - Part-Time Fall 2018
Founded in 2014, the Two Sigma Data Clinic harnesses the power of data and technology to help nonprofits and charitable organizations better realize their mission. Two Sigma provides mission-critical analytical and strategic support that enables socially beneficial but resource constrained organizations do what they do best – try to better the world. Two Sigma does all of this pro bono.
What started off as a project championed by just a handful of employees has since turned into a truly unique volunteer opportunity for our coworkers, who have leveraged their unique expertise within analysis and engineering to help, among others:
- A New York City workforce development non-profit determines which of its services would be most appropriate for each of its clients
- A national environmental non-profit identifies the predictors of environmental violations in oil wells
- A school-focused fundraising platform increases the likelihood that kid-focused projects receive funding
To build upon this success, we are now looking to add an exceptional intern to our Data Clinic team. The internship program lasts for 10 weeks in the fall and takes place at our Soho-based, New York City office. You will partner with an assigned mentor and work alongside Two Sigma’s own scientists and engineers to harness data science in new and creative ways, with an eye towards making a positive impact.
- A demonstrated passion for using data to solve hard, impactful, problems
- Experience applying statistical analysis to multiple domains
- A bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD degree in statistics, mathematics, physics, computer science, or other technical and quantitative disciplines from a top university
- Proficiency with statistics and data analysis tools
- Competency with at least one of Python, R, or MATLAB
- Experience working on creating and leading complex technical presentations
- An intense desire to leverage data on behalf of non-profit organizations
- Previous experience volunteering or doing pro-bono work
Important Note Applicants must be able to travel to the Two Sigma NYC office and commit to 15 – 20 hours per week for the full semester in the fall