Digital Technologies Development Librarian
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Digital Technologies Development Librarian in the Digital Library Initiatives department. Digital Library Initiatives develops and delivers an information environment that significantly advances end-user resource discovery and use of library services. Digital Library Initiatives has produced a number of unique and widely used systems to improve service to library users, including the Lentil photographic social media archival collecting system and the QuickSearch bento-box style single-search system. The department is currently developing new projects in areas including library service and resource discovery, assessment and analytics, data visualization, social media archives, research services, application virtualization, visualization services, and support for digital research and scholarship. The Digital Library Initiatives department maintains a culture of collaboration, with a focus on supporting everyone’s professional growth, providing opportunities for mentorship, and welcoming diverse perspectives.
The Digital Technologies Development Librarian works as an active participant in a team that advances library services through applied research and application development and manages the entire life cycle of projects, from requirements gathering to deployment. S/He provides technical leadership and hands-on programming expertise for a portfolio of library projects. In close collaboration with technical and non-technical partners across the Libraries, she or he identifies emerging technologies that have potential for new and improved library services. Working both independently and in team settings, the incumbent develops new digital library services through an iterative, data-informed, and test-driven process that emphasizes usability, sustainability, and performance. The Digital Technologies Development Librarian maintains and provides enhancements to existing library applications and collaborates closely with Information Technology staff to develop and maintain supporting infrastructure. S/He participates in library planning, serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams. NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field. This position reports to the Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives.
- ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent advanced degree
- Demonstrated potential to develop expertise in current and emerging digital technologies
- Server-side application development experience with one or more open source programming languages such as PHP, Python, or Ruby
- Experience developing database-backed applications
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues
- Evidence of ability for ongoing professional development and contribution
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git
- Experience indexing and querying search platforms like Solr or ElasticSearch
- Knowledge of user-centered design processes, including applying analytics to support data-informed decision-making
- Experience applying systems analysis techniques to solving novel problems
- Enthusiasm for contributing to open-source software projects
- Experience working in an academic library
How to Apply
For more details and how to apply, see https://www.lib.ncsu.edu/jobs/ehra/dtdl.