The Data Science Initiative provides training, advice and collaboration services to researchers (faculty, postdocs, graduate students, staff) on all aspects of the data-driven and data-enabled research, including:
- Developing research questions and grant proposals
- Using Data Science tools (see languages
- Obtaining and accessing data (e.g., from Web pages, APIs, databases)
- Structuring data for analysis (e.g., relational databases, NoSQL, text search engines, Hive, Pig)
- Data management, curation, security and privacy
- Approaches for cleaning and transforming data
- Data analysis via statistical and machine learning and modeling
- Visualization for exploratory data analysis and presentation of results (web based visualization, dashboards, etc.)
- Computational issues (e.g., parallel computing, algorithmic and software development)
- Data sharing and availability (via Web APIs, bulk-download, etc.)
- Reproducibility and provenance
- Other Data Science education and implementation resources at UC Davis
Assistance with your data science needs can be addressed through participation in DSI events, tutorials and workshops. We also offer drop-in office hours, during which we provide advice on theoretical and technical matters related to Data Science. Check our calendar as office hours are subject to change.
If you have general questions regarding data management plans and/or GIS, we will also refer you to the Data Management Program at the UC Davis Library. For general statistics we can also refer you to courses at UC Davis and the Statistics Lab on campus.
Education & Training
We aim to help meet the growing industry and academic need for graduates with Data Science skills by training researchers throughout their career to be skilled at working with data at all stages of the research pipeline. To that end, we are developing mini-courses and offer workshops (short seminars, half to full day, or multiple day modules) that complement the material taught in regular courses, provide hands-on applications, and present cutting-edge new topics and under development techniques. Workshop topics depend on the needs of our Data Science community and available expertise. Workshops are announced here and on our listserv. For a list of prior workshops and associated resources (videos, slides, repositories), see our (workshops page)[http://dsi.ucdavis.edu/workshops.html].